The goal of Austin Sailboat Rentals is to bring the joy of sailing on Lady Bird Lake, in downtown Austin, Texas on easy to operate dinghy sailboats, small day sailor sailboats, large day sailor sailboats, Sea Skimmers, and Hobie Mirage Adventure Islands.
Sailing is a great sport that you can enjoy alone, with friends, with family, as a corporate team building event, celebrating a birthday, celebrating a bachelor or bachelorette party, or makes as a great date!
With as little as 5 mph wind, our Snarks, small day sailors, large day sailors, Sea Skimmers, and Hobies can guide you anywhere on Lady Bird Lake (formerly known as Town Lake). With every two hour dinghy Sea Skimmer and Hobie sailboat rental, we provide free land instructions by a certified US Sailing Instructor.
We offer dinghy sailboats for beginners and kids, and smaller day sailors and larger day sailors for more experienced sailors at very affordable hourly or daily rates. Please note our Snark dinghy sailboats can accommodate up to 310 lbs per boat, and our Sea Skimmers can accommodate up to 475 lbs.
FUN THINGS TO DO ON THE WATER and LAND with other RECREATIONAL VEHICLES You can also rent by the hour or the day - bikes, tandem bicycles, Surrey bikes, kayaks, canoes, stand-up paddleboards (SUPS), Seacycles, Hobie Mirage Adventure Islands, rowboats, and the latest addition to our fleet, Go-Float Electric Boats.
Austin Sailboat Rentals Go-Float Electric Boats are so cool! Each one comes with built-in smartphone speakers, a small cooler, two cup holders, and a Bimini top to help keep you cool during those hot summer days in Texas. Please note our two person electric boat holds up to 550 lbs. in the green boat and up to 650 lbs. in the white boat.
Single and tandem bikes, and Surrey bicycles are a great way to have fun strolling over to Bangers Sausage House and Beer Garden on Rainey Street, navigating throughout downtown Austin or on the Lady Bird Lake Hike and Bike Trail, where you can find cool things to explore like the new Boardwalk Trail at Lady Bird Lake, or watch the Mexican Free-tailed Bats fly from underneath the Ann Richard Congress Avenue Bridge between March and October, or ride over to Zilker Park where the famous Austin City Limits (ACL) Music Festival and Austin Trail of Lights take place.
Surrey Bikes are a great way for your group to stay together while exploring downtown Austin, or the Lady Bird Lake Hike and Bike Trail, or celebrating a special occasion such as a birthday party, a bachelor or bachelorette party, family outing, or on a special date. Surrey bikes bring a lot more fun to the biking experience and they are Green (no emissions). Actually, none of our water or land vehicles give out emissions – Austin Sailboat Rentals is totally Green!
GIFT CERTIFICATES Gift Certificates are a great way to show that special person in your life that you really care about them, or if you have an exceptional employee that you really appreciate, a gift certificate is a great way to show them thanks.
You may purchase a gift certificate in any dollar denomination, so the recipient can use it towards any sailboat, canoe, kayak, stand-up paddle board, Surrey or bicycle rental, or it can even be used towards a private sailing lesson with a certificate US Sailing instructor.
Gift Certificates expire six months from the purchase date, and don’t worry if you lose your certificate … Austin Sailboat Rentals keeps a log of all certificates. They just ask that the recipient please show a form of identification to redeem a lost gift certificate.
Gift Certificates can be prepared with a customized message and background theme.
SAILING LESSONS Private and Group sailing lessons are available by a certified US Sailing instructor on a dinghy sailboat, small and large day sailor sailboats, or Hobie Adventure Tandem. Please note that our Snark dinghy sailboats can accommodate up to 310 lbs. per boat, and our Sea Skimmer dinghy sailboats can accommodate up to 475 lbs. per boat.
Below are a few options to choose from:
PRIVATE lessons are available with a certified US Sailing instructor, and include: thirty (30) minutes of one-on-one land instructions with a certified instructor (e.g. understanding the wind, the mechanics of sailing a sailboat, how to sail and navigate (laylines) on Lady Bird Lake, safety afloat overview, including rules of the road), and then another thirty (30) minutes practicing what you learned on land on the water, supervised closely by your instructor.
Below are a few options to choose from. Please note, the first cost is for the instructor’s fee, and the second cost is for the sailboat rental:
- $50 an hour for one person in a Snark dinghy sailboat (up to 310 lbs.), plus $20;
- $70 an hour for two persons sharing a lesson in the same Snark dinghy sailboat (310 lbs. combined weight), plus $25 for the sailboat;
- $80 an hour for two persons sharing a lesson in two separate Snark dinghy sailboats; plus $20 for each sailboat;
- $100 an hour for one person in a day sailor; plus $35 for a small day sailor, or $45 for a larger day sailor (our instructor goes with you in your sailboat);
- $100 an hour for one person in a Hobie, plus $45 for the Hobie Adventure Islander Tandem (our instructor goes with you in your Hobie);
- $150 an hour for two persons sharing a lesson in the same day sailor, plus $45 for a larger day sailor (our instructor goes with you in your sailboat).
GROUP lessons are also available with a certified US Sailing instructor and include thirty (30) minutes of land instructions (e.g. understanding the wind, the mechanics of sailing a sailboat, sailing and navigating (laylines) on Lady Bird Lake, safety afloat overview including rules of the road), and then another thirty (30) minutes on the water practicing what you learned on the land, supervised closely by your certified instructor.
GROUP lesson consists of at least three (3) or more people attending the same lesson. In a Group Lesson we will try to pair up two participants in the same Snark dinghy sailboat (2 people to a boat), unless there is a weight overage or an odd number of sailors, then one person will sail alone.
Below are a few options to choose from:
- $100 an hour for three (3) to ten (10) people, plus the cost of the dinghy sailboats ($20 for one person in a Snark dinghy sailboat, or $25 for two people in a Snark dinghy sailboat);
- $150 an hour for eleven (11) to fifteen (15) people, plus the cost of the dinghy sailboats ($20 for one person in a Snark dinghy sailboat, or $25 for two people in a Snark dinghy sailboat);
- $200 an hour for sixteen (16) to twenty (20) people, plus the cost of the dinghy sailboats ($20 for one person in a Snark dinghy sailboat, or $25 for two people in a Snark dinghy sailboat);
- please call to inquire about pricing for more than twenty-one (21) people.
CERTIFICATION If you are interested in becoming a certified sailor, our certified US Sailing instructor can also certify you as a beginner and/or intermediate sailor in sailboats 20 feet or smaller. Please inquire about certifications directly with Ginny at 512-431-1894 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAILING CLUB MEMBERSHIPS Austin Sailboat Rentals has established a Sailing Club Membership with the goal of making its Sailing Club Membership an organized, safe, and fun sailing environment for all its members.
MEMBERSHIPS There are two kinds of sailing memberships with Austin Sailboat Rentals:
(1) single memberships cost $250 a month, which entitles one sailboat member to sail any of Austin Sailboat Rentals sailboats identified below. A member may bring along a guest(s) for a nominal fee. The fee for a single guest is $10.00 per hour per guest; or
(2) couple memberships cost $350 a month, which entitles two members to sail any of Austin Sailboat Rentals sailboats identified below at the same time in the same boat. Guests are also allowed for $10.00 per hour per guest.
SAILBOATS INCLUDED IN BOTH MEMBERSHIPS
BIRTHDAY PARTIES Sailing Birthday Parties are a lot of fun for the young and the old. We offer 2 hours and 3 hours of sailing time, together with basic sailing instructions and safety afloat overview on Lady Bird Lake or Lake Austin. Below is our basic pricing for 2 hour and 3 hour parties. We can also customize your party by adding a group sailing lesson with a certified US Sailing instructing, and/or adding additional boats and sail time. See below for additional ad ons.
BIRTHDAY PARTY PRICING
- For 2 hours of sailing for 10 people (5 dinghy sailboats, 2 persons per boat) the cost is $250.
- For 3 hours of sailing for 10 people (5 dinghy sailboats, 2 persons per boat) the cost is $375.
- For 2 hours of sailing for 10 people (10 dinghy sailboats, 1 person per boat) the cost is $400.
- For 3 hours of sailing for 10 people (10 dinghy sailboats, 1 person per boat) the cost is $600.
BIRTHDAY PARTY OPTIONAL AD-ONS
Optional adds-ons such as kayaks, canoes, stand-up paddleboards, and bikes or Surreys bikes are also available at an hourly rate. Prices for all of these items can be found here or on the reservation page located below.
Also available is one hour group sailing lesson provided by a certified US Sailing instructor for $100.
Please also feel free to bring your own food and beverages to enjoy at one of our red picnic tables with yellow shade umbrellas. For each reservation of 5 boats, one table is included with reservation.
SPRING & SUMMER SAILING CAMPS and AFTER SCHOOL SAILING
SPRING and SUMMER SAILING CAMPS It’s Austin Sail Sailboat Rentals second year at teaching kids how to sail, and it’s main focus this year is going to be on fun, then learning, then team building. Austin Sailboat Rentals has an onsite certified US Sailing instructor and certified lifeguard, so your kids are not only going to learn how to sail the right way, they are going to be safe during the process, and have a whole lot of fun while learning how to sail!
Spring Break Sailing Camp will be offered one week in March (March 10-14) for kids 6 to 15 years old. For kids that already know how to sail, we will split the kids up by level of experience and teach accordingly. We are offering a $20 discount for siblings signing up for the same session, as well as a $20 discount for multiple sessions.
Summer Sailing Camp will be offered in weekly sessions during the months of June, July and August for kids 6 to 15 years old. For kids that already know how to sail, we will split the kids up by level of experience and teach accordingly. We are offering a $20 discount for siblings signing up for the same session, as well as a $20 discount for multiple sessions.
Austin Sailboat Rentals’ Spring and Summer Sailing Camps are all inclusive camps, which means
while your kids are having fun learning how to sail, they will also be provided a light morning snack with fresh juice, a full buffet lunch with beverage and dessert indoors at the Holiday Inn on Town Lake Pecan Tree Restaurant, along with cold water and Gatorade provided throughout the day, and fresh fruit later in the afternoon.
Austin Sailboat Rentals offers Spring and Summer sailing camps Monday – Friday, from 9 am to 5 pm.
An additional option is offered for both camps for early drop-off and late pick-up at for a minimal charge.